I made this Bakealong recipe from King Arthur flour back in March and immediatley made it again because it was so good! Their recipe calls for caraway seeds, dried basil, dried oregano and cayenne in addition to the garlic butter I use here. You are welcome to add tthem to your recipe.
1 cup whole milk
1/4 unsalted butter
3 tbs. granulated sugar
2 tsp. table salt
2 large eggs
2 tsp instant yeast or active dry yeast
4 to 4 1/4 cups King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
2 tbs potato flour or 1/3 cup instant potato flakes
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp finely minced chives
3 cloves finely minced garlic
1. Combine the milk, sugar and salt in saucepan and heat, stirring,
until butter melts. Let mixture cool to lukewarm.
2. Transfer milk mixture to mixing bowl, and add the eggs, yeast, 4
cups of the flour and the potato flour and mix to form a shaggy
dough. Using your hands or a stand mixer, mix until dough is
smooth, it will still be somewhat sticky, but should still form
into a ball. Add more flour if needed.
3. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise for about
90 minutes, until puffy.
4. While the dough is rising, place the filling ingredients into a
bowl, mix to combine and set aside at room temperature.
5. After dough has risen, deflate it and divide it in half.
Working with one piece at a time. place the dough on lightly
floured surface and roll into a 12″ circle about 1/4″ thick.
Using a round cookie cutter or a turned over glass or anything
circle cutting tool, cut into approximately 10 circles. Spread
the garlic butter mixture onto each circle, fold in half and
place into lightly greased pan. Repeat with second piece of
dough, I used a small casserole pan so it all fit into one pan.
If there is still left over garlic butter, brush the remaining
on top of the bread.
6. Cover the pan with grease plastic and let rise for 90 minutes
more, until puffy and starting to fill the pan. Towards the end
of rising time, preheat the oven to 350F.
7. Uncover bread and bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.