1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 large egg whites
confectioners sugar for dusting
- Cream together shortening and milk for about 3 minutes, (it will look like small curd cottage cheese.) Add in vanilla
- In a separate bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add flour one third at a time to milk mixture, blending well after each addition.
- Lastly, add in egg whites, beating until just combined.
- Pour batter into greased and floured (do not use a spray) 10″ cast iron skillet.
- bake in preheated 350 oven for 40-45 minutes, using a toothpick inserted in the center to test for doneness.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 45 minutes. Before serving, lightly dust with confectioners sugar. Notes: you can bake this in 10″ casserole pan or 10″ baking pan. Recipe source @chocolateChocolateandmore.com